If you’d asked me a week ago
to tell you what the Supreme Court case Obergefell v. Hodges had been about, I
wouldn’t have been able to tell you. I wasn’t
ignorant of the Court’s same-sex marriage ruling, but I was ignorant of the circumstances
surrounding the case and the far-reaching consequences of the Court
over-reaching its judicial bounds.
I really thought the whole
situation was about whether homosexual unions were good, right and correct or
not. How have I lived 50 years and never
read a Supreme Court case summary or dissents?
I think I imagined them full of legal jargon and reading something like
a loan contract or a warantee, full of legal jargon and incomprehensible to
the typical person. Obergefell v. Hodges
was a pleasant surprise.
Not only was case summary in
plain English, the rebuttals were witty and pointed. I somehow imagined our Supreme Court
something like the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. A diverse group of wise men who counseled
with each other and debated congenially until they came to a consensus. I know Supreme Court is a majority vote, but
somehow that didn’t change my idealized vision of them. Reading the dissents of Obergefell v. Hodges
woke me up.
Justice Roberts said, in dissent, “Whether
same-sex marriage is a good idea should be of no concern to us. Under the Constitution, judges have power to
say what the law is, not what it should be.”
In Obergefell v. Hodges, the judicial majority redefined marriage. They took an establishment that they admitted
had, throughout all human history, been defined as between a man and a woman
and using “[our] better informed understanding” Ante, at 19, redefined marriage
so as not to deprive same-sex couples of what they interpreted to be Fourteenth
Amendment rights. They did not rule on
law as was, but “enacted their own vision of marriage as a matter of
constitutional law.” (Obergefell v. Hodges, Justice C. J. Roberts, dissenting
p.2)
The Judicial Majority used a
changing and “evolving” definition of liberty and supported their view with
examples that had affected marriage and individual rights but had never touched
the definition of what a marriage was. None
of the “rights” being denied to same-sex couples before the Supreme Court
ruling were affecting the liberty of homosexual individual or couples. In fact, they had the right to live together,
create spiritual unions, raise children, purchase property, etc. They had the liberty to live as they pleased,
without fear of legal consequence.
What the proponents of same-sex
marriage wanted, was not to have the liberty to be a couple or family, but to be
entitled to government benefits. In
changing the definition of marriage by court order, the Supreme Court gave a the
vocal minority a small victory at the expense of democracy.
No comments:
Post a Comment