“A cunning
part of Satan’s strategy is to dissociate anger from agency, making us believe
that we are victims of an emotion that we cannot control.”
“I lost my temper.”
“He made me so mad.”
“Are you kidding me?
I can’t believe he did that!”
My husband is gifted at not being
offended. He has always said, “’I’m offended,
or I take offense at that,’ means I choose to take offense at what someone said
or did. Nobody ever says, ‘I’m giving
you offense!’ I have to choose whether
to take it or dismiss it. I choose to
dismiss it and be free.” Elder Lynn G.
Robbins General Conference talk, Agency
and Anger, has a similar theme about anger.
Elder Robbins says that by allowing others to make us angry, we are
implying that we have no control over our emotions.
Elder Robbins said, “Becoming angry
is a conscious choice, a decision; therefore, we can make the choice not to
become angry.” It is a choice, at least
at first. For many, however, anger has
become a habit that robs control of their emotions. In his book, The Power of Habit,
Charles Duhigg teaches that habits are essential for our survival. They allow us to react without conscious
thought to repetitive influences and even to dangerous situations. However, we can override a habit, we can
reteach our brains. In other words, we
still have our agency, even when we have habits.
For too many of us, anger has
become a bad habit. The Atonement makes
it possible to overcome the natural man and bad habits are one of the hallmarks
of the natural man.
For me, the desire to change what
had become an anger habit came from a toddler who began living by my example of
angry outbursts. I was spending an inordinate amount of time
correcting his outbursts and anger (often with no patience of my own) until one
day, the Spirit whispered (loud enough to be heard over my anger) “Maybe you
need a timeout.” I realized I was being
my father; I was, in effect, saying, “Do as I say, not as I do,” to my
children. I always hated it when my dad
said that to us. It felt wrong as a
child and it was terrifying to realize I was repeating the mistake. The habit didn’t change overnight, but the
desire to change was there and the motivation was strong.
Now, when I feel angry, I dig
deeper. What is the real cause of
this? Do I feel helpless? Scared?
Tired? Incapable? Threatened?
I pause. I give my brain a chance
to act, rather than react. I’m still not
perfect. Elder Robbins asked us to
ponder the resolution, “I will never become angry again.” I’d like that. I’m better than I was. I think the only way to get completely past
anger is to lean entirely on the Savior.
I can lean more.
No comments:
Post a Comment