“Irritations with our partners are not a challenge to
diplomacy as much as to our charity.”
-H. Wallace
Goddard
Saturday is here again.
Randy worked hard all week and wants to go “do something” with the
kids. I’ve worked hard all week,
too. I homeschool the children, cook the
meals, clean the house, direct the chores, oversee the care of the animals and
the garden, drive the family taxi, etc.
The retaining wall still needs to be finished, the pig pen needs to be
cleaned out for the winter, the barn needs to be organized, cars need vacuuming,
the garage is full of leaves from the Autumn drop, pumpkins need canning,
apples need drying.
But Randy wants to do something fun. “Wholesome recreational activities, Jen. Successful families are built upon
them!”
I am the work, he is the play. Between us, the children have a healthy balance, but I never quite feel like he
works enough around the house and he never quite feels like I play enough with
the family.
Gridlock.
Long before we knew John Gottman’s name, we dug deep within
ourselves to identify why we couldn’t see eye to eye on the correct balance
between work and play. We realized we’d
been raised to value opposite characteristics.
I grew up with parents who didn’t play: no card games with friends, no
sports or park dates or family bike rides.
A strong work ethic was instilled early, and I felt my parent’s approval
when I worked hard and did a good job.
Randy’s dad lettered in every sport possible in high school, his mom
danced and loved games of every kind. He
and his siblings played catch with their dad, competed on sports teams, goofed
around and laughed together. Their house
wasn’t as clean as mine was, their yard had grass with sprinklers instead of beautifully
landscaped flower beds, they went to amusement parks and city parks, skiing
trips and swimming pools, we did not. Randy
felt parental approval for success on the field and the stage, with academic achievement
and with success at the fish pond.
We’ve been married 28 years.
This difference could have torn us apart. I could have decided that he didn’t care
about our home or how overworked I was and by extension, didn’t care about me. He could have decided he wanted someone who
was more impulsive and fun-loving and that my work-ethic made me a boring,
nag-prone wife. We won’t ever fix this
gridlock. I don’t even want to fix it
now! That man has taught my sons how to
be involved fathers. How ironic that the
trait that most annoyed me while we were raising our children, was the one I
always wished my own father had when I was a child.
Successful families are built on “…work and wholesome
recreational activities.” This
particular gridlock stopped being a point of contention when we discovered
where our perspectives had been born and realized that our goal was the same. I still don’t play as much as Randy would
like. He still doesn’t act on house
projects without prodding. But we do
have a successful marriage and family.
Gridlock isn’t the end of a marriage, It’s just one more opportunity to
exercise charity.
1. Family: A Proclamation to the World, para 7
No comments:
Post a Comment